Saturday, August 15, 2009

Book Review: Across the Pond by Storyheart



Review of Across the Pond by Storyheart

Synopsis:

Fourteen-year-old Brit Fred Squire was not excited for his first visit to the US with his father's friends. Aside from a tiresome school assignment of compiling the Americanisms he comes across and their British equivalents, Fred is nervous about meeting Brittany, his host family's teenage daughter.

But from the moment they meet, it's clear that Fred and Brittany, a.k.a. "Brit", click. Brit makes Fred's Americanisms assignment fun. With their shared sense of humor, love of music and sports, the two become fast friends. Brit introduces Fred to life in America - the slang, the mall, her friends, American food, and baseball. Fred even helps Brit handle her one big fear. Before they realize it, the visit is over but hopefully, Fred and Brit's friendship won't be.

Review:

I really loved this book! Fred is funny, sympathetic and hugely likable. All the characters had well defined personalities and the writing was so fun that it took me a while to realize that the book is a romance. Across the Pond doesn't feel like a contemporary YA romance as much as an updated romance similar to Fifteen by Beverly Cleary. Each scene in the book is fun and diverting, and with Fred as the protagonist, I feel that people of all ages would enjoy Across the Pond.

I highly recommend Across the Pond to anyone looking for a light, fun read. I think that even young boys will enjoy the book's humor and plot. I'm passing on my copy to my nieces - and am sure that they'll enjoy this book as much I did!

Publisher: Xlibris Corporation; 1st edition (September 25, 2008), 120 pages.
Courtesy of Bostick Communications.

Thank you so much, Bostick and Storyheart for this opportunity!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for such an interesting and kind review. I am glad you enjoyed the book and hope your your neices do as well.

    Barry

    ReplyDelete